VF Corporation Eagle Creek Sr Product Developer in Carlsbad, California
Eagle Creek: Find Your Unknown
Eagle Creek is an invitation outside…. To travel beyond your comfort zone, discover new people and places, and experience life beyond the familiar. Born in 1975 in the small mountain town of Idyllwild, CA, original owners Steve and Nona Barker began making comfortable, light, durable backpacks for climbers ascending Mt. San Jacinto. Over 40 years later, Eagle Creek is now comprised of a “tribe of travelers,” determined to make exploration and discovery not just possible, but effortless and enriching. At Eagle Creek, we believe both travel and life in the outdoors changes people. That’s led us to develop a broad collection of stylish and durable gear to get people to their next adventure—whether it’s on a nearby trail or in a country half-way around the world.
Eagle Creek equips travelers to break barriers and explore the unknown. Every versatile product we make is designed to the highest durability and functional standards; that’s why our signature No Matter What warranty has become a keystone feature for our tribe of diverse travelers. For every type of traveler, from weekend nomads to all-terrain backpackers, we are a movement committed to traveling the world to better understand each other and the planet. We are proud of a long-standing commitment to making the world a better place through conservation, reducing landfill waste and by participating in programs that make a difference in global communities.
Eagle Creek is a subsidiary of VF Corporation., the world’s largest apparel and footwear company comprised of over 30 brands. We are founded as a culture of learning and take great pride in our ability to facilitate learning opportunities to our employees by providing the resources and tools necessary to build each individual’s personal strengths to achieve future goals. In order to prioritize career growth within our company, Eagle Creek offers seminars and learning opportunities on topics such as Leadership, Communication, Collaboration and Technical Skills to ensure our employees are self-motivated and developing to the pace of our rapidly, growing business.
If you’re interested in building a legacy of sharing a passion for travel, adventure and the outdoors, join our tribe of travelers at Eagle Creek and find YOUR unknown.
Senior Product Developer: Become the Newest Member of the Eagle Creek Family
As the Senior Product Developer, you will use your operational and technical expertise, as well as your creative leadership to advance products from design to commercialization. By doing so, your efforts will have a direct effect on exceeding Eagle Creek’s brand, sales and marketing goals. Your expertise from the luggage or outdoor industry will support prototyping design concepts, construction, cost and quality engineering, rigorous testing and evaluation. Your keen ability to manage projects and timelines successfully will further enhance hard-good componentry.
How You Will Make a Difference:
· Collaboration: Works closely with design team and merchandising team in early concept stages to develop products that meet company/corporate target margin goals while maintaining design intent and quality.
· Supervision: Supervises, trains, and develops new or junior development staff as applicable.
· Project Management: Manages and tracks successful completion of technical art and spec revisions, component development, proto reviews & revisions, product testing, cost analysis and post-production in-line product changes.
· Timeline Management: Creates and manages development calendar that aligns with key company milestone needs, utilizing time management and communications skills to track progress and meet deadlines.
· Value Engineering: Analyzes BOM/FOB cost, utilizing spreadsheet tools and proposes cost impact changes to product during development. Creates feature/cost comparisons to clearly communicate decision impacts as needed.
· Product Testing: Coordinates with QA to review product, determine a testing plan, implement testing and trouble-shoot issues. Meets product brief requirements for product dimensions, capacities, weight and fit specifications.
· Communication: Works directly with overseas sourcing offices/vendors to insure product design requirements are understood and appropriately executed. Negotiates costs, minimums and lead times where possible. Monitors the project status report (PSR).
· Presentations: Leads proto reviews. Assists with internal and external product presentations.
· Sustainability: Contributes to sustainability projects related to product materials, construction, and function.
· Innovation: Researches and develops new manufacturing processes, construction techniques, or functional features.
Skills for Success:
Years of Related Professional Experience: 8+ years in either luggage-specific product development, or technical outdoor backpack development
Educational/ Position Requirements:
· Associate or higher degree in Industrial Design, Engineering, or related field experience required
· Knowledge of sewn and non-sewn manufacturing construction techniques
· Advanced outdoor and industrial textile and materials knowledge
· Strong communication presentation, and visualization skills
· Business writing skills, strong ability to communicate cross-culturally
· Strong relationship building skills
· Computer literate in Office: Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint
· Technical drawing proficiency and experience
· Advanced proficiency in Adobe Illustrator; Photoshop desired
· 3D Modeling experience strongly preferred
· Supervisory, and/or management experience desired
· Problem-solving mentality, using sound judgement and diplomacy
· Research and analytical skills
· Self-motivated and organized
Special Physical and/or Mental Requirements:
· Domestic and International Travel by road, air and overnight, as required 15% of time
· Lifting and/or bending up to 30 pounds.
Organized in 1899, VF Corporation is a global leader in branded lifestyle apparel, footwear and accessories, with global iconic brands, 64,000 associates and $12.4 billion in revenue. Our businesses and brands are organized into four categories called coalitions, comprising: Outdoor & Action Sports, Jeanswear, Imagewear, and Sportswear. While VF is highly diversified across brands, products, distribution channels and geographies, our One VF culture and approach to doing business provide a unique and powerful competitive advantage.
VF Diversity Vision Statement
VF is committed to creating an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the differences among all of our associates, customers, suppliers and the communities in which we live and conduct business. The continued success and growth of VF is enhanced through initiatives that promote diversity throughout VF around the world.VF is an equal employment opportunity/ affirmative action employer of minorities, females, protected veterans and the disabled. VF is committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, and treating our VF associates and VF applicants without discrimination on the basis of their race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, citizenship, disability, protected veteran status, HIV/AIDS status, or any other legally protected factor.